Monday, September 8, 2014

Day 8 
Today's water trek took us back to Kahekili beach just yards from where we had the TripAdvisor get together yesterday. What a day. The water has really cleared up nicely and the fish, cephalopods, coral and invertebrates didn't disappoint. I would guess at least 50ft visibility maybe more. Early on there wasn't a whole lot going on other than the regulars on the reef. Then we had another octopus encounter that was so much fun. I have to give my wife cudo's, she found all but one of the octopus we saw this trip. She also spotted many of the new species we saw and photographed this week. Think it's time for prescription mask. Think I will break these up by types this time. I wanted this set to have all fish I hadn't seen or posted yet. There is one disclaimer, the last pic is a Mother Nature in action pic and there was one of our finny friends harmed but it's life on the reef. It's not horribly disgusting or bloody just life like I said. Just giving fair warning because I know some are very sensitive to things like this.  And the first shot is of a trinket I found which probably saved a finny friend so we can call it wash. Hope you all enjoy.

This is a lure a fisherman lost when the line got caught in the rocks. Thankfully pulling it the other direction the line slid right out of the coral. I have no idea what it did when they were yanking on it and eventually broke it. It was very heavy braided line. We also picked up a ton of paper floating out there. Those that were at the get together know why it was out there.






Now on with the show
First off coral shots. I was looking for some of the different types we see out there since most of my shots are usually fish. No captions since I have no clue the names of these corals. 






















On with a few invertebrates. 






Cushion star 






Pencil urchin


Saw this shell I thought the wife would like all crusted with coral. Unfortunately it was still occupied by a snail so it was returned to it's reef.





Another pencil urchin but this one had cool variegated spines. 




A little Hermit Crab playing peek-a-boo under the edge of it's shell.









Next up is a friendly little Cephalopod, or better know as an octopus. I know they are invertebrates also but this guy needed it's own spotlight. The first shot if you look close shows there was actually two on the coral head. The little one drew back into it's hole but the bigger one let us very close and posed for some fun shots. 
















Time for some fish! 
As far as I remember none of these have been posted yet except for the first one of the Yellow Tangs. This school was so big for what we have seen in past years on Maui. We saw many large schools on the reefs this year and I hope it's a good sign. We are use to large schools on the Big Island but Maui we usually only would see 1 to maybe 4 at a time. This year we ran into several schools probably over 30 fish like this one. 







Pinktail Triggerfish





Female Stareye Parrotfish






Female Barred Filefish



Female Palenose Parrotfish. Yes, I know I take too many pictures of the ladies. But I am a guy and as my wife affectionately tells me now and then, "We're all pigs.". LOL 





Blackside Hawkfish
Now this little guy was new to us. My wife saw one at Kapalua the other day and didn't get a real good shot because it was following her during her shell hunting along the edge of the waterline in just a foot or two of water. The one she saw would follow her around and look for stuff in the stirred sand when she stuck her hand in it. She said she could even curve her fingers up out of the sand and tickle it's belly. I believe it is a juvenile Giant Trevally. If I'm right this guy could eventually reach 150lbs when grown.






Bandtail Goatfish
A very large Yellowtail Coris. This one was hard to get any kind of a good shot on. He was very actively hunting so he was moving fast. It was fun watching him when he found a small urchin. He repeatedly pounded it against the rocks until all the spines were off them gulped it down. If you look close you can see some of the spines sticking out of his mouth.


Now this little guy was one I ran into just before getting out after 2 hours in the water. (An hour past the recommended time the camera is suppose to be in the water. Oops) Glad I stayed in. This was our first Leaf Scorpionfish. A very cool fish.






Warning: Mother Nature at work

Again this was something I got to witness just as I was getting out. I hard tried to get a few shots of this Lizardfish a short time before but it was on the hunt. Well it looks like he was successful. I didn't stick around to see if he could actually swallow the poor Lavender Tang because I needed to get the cameras out and it was just lying there with it in its's mouth. Fortunately Lavender Tangs are one of the most plentiful fish on the reef so I wasn't to worried. It just life on the reef.






No comments:

Post a Comment