Friday, September 5, 2014

Day 5

Back to Kahekili today. Still some swells but certainly still snorekelable. Is that a word? Even though the water was not optimum for taking pics we still found a bunch of our reef friends and a few even let us take their picture. Found a couple new friends we had not seen before. We had a good time with a little Tako (octopus) while we we out there. I put those pics in a picasa album. Octopus Whisperer A couple friends who love fish photography also and were both recently on Maui got me excited about seeing the Fantail Filefish that have been prevalent on the reef this year. Well in searching for them yesterday we ran into two new creatures. One fish and one something else. Oh and I threw in a pic of a beautiful coral head we came across. Enjoy







Goldring Surgeonfish






Shortbodied Blenny





Hawaiian Gregory











Pearl Wrasse





Ringtail Wrasse





Fantail Wrasse








Redbarred Hawkfish






Hawaiian White Spotted Toby











Another Shortbodied Blenny but this is smiling. Can't you tell? 





Love these coral formations 





Green Linckia Sea Star 






Some juvenile Teardrop Butterflyfish





Juvenile humu. This little guy did not want his pic taken and he was fast.






These three shots are of a fish my wife thought were the Fantail Filefish I had been looking for. But they didn't look quite right to me. I got some pics then looked them up when we got back. Figured out they were a Yellowtail Filefish that are uncommon and normally found at SCUBA depths. I guess this group came into shallower water to say "Hi". I'm glad they did, they'er a beautiful fish.













This was another surprise discovery. I was diving down to get a pic of a Fantail Filefish and this tiny little creature caught my eye. It is about 3/4 inch long. I knew if I didn't get a shot I may not find it again. It is some kind of Nudibranch or Ses Slug but which I have no idea. There dozens of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment