Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Day 2

We went up to Honolua Bay today. The conditions were still not great but from what we heard from people there it was the best on the island right now. When we started out I would say it was about 25ft visibility but when we came in a couple hours later it was down to 15ft and at the entry point near zero. Made it fun to get out. Unfortunately the water wasn't the only cloudy part of the day. About a half hour into our snorkel we were quite a ways out and I heard some shouting. They were another 75 to 100 yards out farther than us and around the corner a bit. Just heard "Head to shore" and thought it someone who was a little far from their partner or something. Then a little bit later four men where bringing in a lady floating on her back. If I were to guess she was in her 60's but she was breathing but obviously in a lot of pain. I went to see if EMS had been contacted since I had my phone with me but it had. I'm guessing that was what the yelling was about earlier. I think someone on the north overlook saw what was happening and called. The four guys helping her to shore were much younger than me and were doing a great job trying to keep her engaged. I would say at least one had some medical or rescue training. My help would have been useless and we didn't follow them in because the beach was already packed and I knew there was nothing we could do now and they certainly didn't need more people there getting in the way. We were worried about her all day. I haven't seen any reports yet so we are keeping our fingers crossed that she is all right. She was and still is in our thoughts.









Some nice colors on this female Ringtail wrasse.


Found this little guy on our way back in. I'm guessing it's albino but what variety I can't tell. But if I was to guess from the head shape I would say it's an Undulated moray. 




It didn't seem to mind me too much. It was on the hunt for lunch. 

Correction: This is a full grown Dwarf Moray eel. 




A friendly Cornetfish stopped by to say hello.



I know it's really hard to see but between the coral fingers is a little Speckled Scorpionfish. Every time I got anywhere close it would duck back in the coral. 





Chow time for the inmates. A huge school of Convict Tangs.





I love the colors on the Blue Goatfish. 




Someone's playing peek-a-boo with me. Wait until you see his dad that my wife got some shots of before it went into hiding. 




There was some really big Orangebar Surgeonfish out there this time. 



 Always a reef favorite, the Arceye Hawkfish.



This is kind of a rotten pic but it was taken in a hurry. There were four of these guys and they were all lit up in their bright colors and they were not talking story. It was a pretty fierce battle for a few seconds.  



"All right, Mr.DeMille, I'm ready for my close up."  I think the Whitemouthed Moray is one of the most photogenic eels on the reef.  



Now this was a first for us. Seeing a whole Zebra Moray out of the coral. We usually see only bits that show through the holes in the coral.  



There was some monster size Orangespine Surgeonfish out there also. The tail spines on these guys were wicked looking.




Love to see the butterflies. This pair of Ovals were munching away.



This is why I hope Kapalua Bay calms and clears. Can always find a bunch of these cute little Hawaiian Dascyllus.




Thought this was kind of a cool shot of some big Ornate Butterflies. 





The always friendly Saddle Wrasse.




Hawkfish, a fish photographers dream. They usually hold still for their pics. This Blackside Hawkfish was a pretty big guy.







Here are some shots my wife took at Honolua. She caught a few things I was late for. Especially the biggest octopus we've seen here. Sorry these aren't captioned yet. Time to go back out. Will have some shots from a quick trip we took Upcountry.











No comments:

Post a Comment